Sunday, November 13, 2011

How difficult is it to replace the radiator in a Peugeot 405?

I Have a leak in the radiator of my peugeot 405 (n reg). I have tried radex and k seal, neither of them have helped. I am on a budget so need to replace myself. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is and any tips that might help please. Many thanks :)|||It is NOT difficult to change the radiator at all. You do not need special tools, and it can be done with the car on the ground, NOT on a lift. I will write the steps for you by memory, then I will edit it for any mistakes or steps I left out%26gt; I will go outside to my own 405 to check on my accuracy.



PHOTO:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh155鈥?/a>



1. Open the bonnet.

2. Drain the coolant into a CLEAN flat container that will hold certainly 5 liters. SAVE this coolant to reuse it if you wish. Look for the plastic drain valve on the lower right corner ( UK passenger side). Open the top radiator cap to speed up the draining.

3. Disconnect the top radiator hose from the radiator .

4. Disconnect the lower hose, lower UK drivers side, and gently twist the hose right and left until it comes off.

5. Remove the plastic connector to the ''coolant sensor'' from the middle right side of the radiator. LOOK for a thin thin metal thing that holds the plastic connector on firmly, remove it with a skinny small flat screwdriver used as a prying tool.

6. Your goal is now to uncover the body parts from the radiator so you can LIFT the radiator upwards. REMOVE the long wide brace that spans the motor compartment, and includes the bonnet latch and bonnet release cable. You will see 4 bolts, 11 millimeter hex head. Two of these are found ... one above each headlight, the other two are in-line, in between them.

7. Lift the long wide piece up and temporarily put it out of the way.

8. Not sure but now remove the front body trim with the Peugeot emblem, the plastic louvers that allow fresh air to pass through the radiator.

9. The radiator just sits there with plastic prongs that sit in plastic holes underneath the radiator. Grab the radiator an lift upwards and OUT.



EDITED LATER: Step number 6... there are 4 MORE bolts, 13mm, two on each side of this wide panel, that connect the panel to the car's fenders. Remove these also.



EDITED AGAIN!!!! I think you can skip my steps #6, 7, 8. But instead do these two steps:

Step 7 1/4: Remove the plastic air tube above the radiator.

Step 7 1/2: Look at radiators top edge. See two curved clips on top of the radiator. One at each corner. Flip these up with your fingers to release the radiator. Tilt the radiator backwards, then lift Up on it to draw it from its lower resting spot.





Going out to the car now to double check my instructions, back in a while....

No comments:

Post a Comment